SMC snow stake recognized for excellence in performance and durability by the world renowned American Alpine Institute as one of their “Guides’ Choice” products.
Meets the strength requirements in the UIAA 155 safety standard. Holes minimum breaking strength 8kn.
- Has a peerless strength-to-weight ratio, as well as an unmatched practical design.
- Modified I web depth provides maximum hold
- Compact for ease of handling and packing
- Sharp end is precision tapered for easy placement in ice and hard snow
- Natural finish that it holds more securely in vertical placement
- Bevelled edges of the clip-in holes to protect ropes and webbing
Accurate assessment of snow conditions and their potential for change during the day/night is critical in determining correct picket placement. In hard packed snow or ice, place the picket as a stake, driving the pointed end into the snow. Angle the picket (approx. 15°) back from the direction of pull and clip a carabiner into the hole closest to the surface of the snow. In softer snow and warming conditions, bury the picket as a deadman. Place the I Picket horizontally and perpendicular to the direction of pull, clip into the center hole and dig a slot in the snow so that the runner/rope will be pulled in as direct a line as possible.